Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Gotcha Day update from Jeff

This is an update from Jeff about Gotcha Day...... (Luke, Craig, & Kelly are a family they are traveling with)


**I knew that Jeff and Grandpa Ed would have Ty laughing or smiling by the end of the day and I was right. Grandma N. was talking to the guys and heard Ty really giggling.


We woke up way early again and made our calls back home. We went down to the breakfast buffet and that was really good. Preserved egg was something that I was interested in, I offered Luke $5 to eat the black egg but he didn't bite.

We gathered our stuff and headed over to the Civil Affairs office and sat down. Craig and Kelly's little girl came right away and they had a nice quiet time together. Ty was at least 1/2 hour late and he didn't look very comfortable about the whole thing. He let me hold him but no eye contact. He was OK until we boarded the bus, then he cried out and tried to get out of my arms. I calmed him down as best I could. We got some professional pictures taken on the way back to our room in some dingy upstairs photography studio. He was sad but quiet the rest of the way back.

We got back and we first called Mom and while talking on the computer he fell asleep on my lap. I put him in his crib and he slept for an hour and I got him up for lunch. He ate just about whatever small bits I put in front of him and all of it. He wouldn't stop when his mouth was full, just keep packing it in. He drank a regular cup by himself and liked to put the cap on and off of a water bottle.

We played with the toys we brought on the bed for most of the afternoon. We tried to take another nap while grandpa went to the big market down the street. Not sure if he fell asleep as much as I did. We took a walk down the hall and looked out a window down on the traffic below (we are on the 16th floor). That was the extent of our travels the first day. We ordered room service again for dinner and got him fried noodles. He loved them and kept asking for more.

He loosened up a bit after dinner and we were playing harder and I was making him laugh and smile more. We played with little trucks - he likes everything in a particular fashion - all the trucks in a row and facing the same direction. If I move one out of line he stops everything to fix it.


At 9pm I took him in the bathroom and brushed my teeth and he knew pretty well how to brush his. I put his pj's on and put him in his crib with his stuffed dog (that he really likes). I told him to lay down and he moved his blankets around and then put his head down. Soon he stood up and grabbed a water bottle he could reach on the desk - I got up and moved everything back and told him to put his head down and he did.

He never made another peep all night.


He seems to fit right in with the boys... he looks so cute I can't wait to kiss those cheeks.


Lily loved this phone in China and still pulls it out of her toy box..... so we thought we should get one for Ty (having 2 will hopefully prevent fighting over it in the future). Jeff says that Ty really likes it. Lily also picked out the Lego type things he is playing with and the little car on the bed.

Squid


Here at home....
Lily loves trying to wear her Miss Kitty flip flops. As you can see they are too small because they are for Miss Kitty (Hello Kitty from Build A Bear).
She is a riot.... she is calling her friends on my phone that no longer works (dropped it into water when someone pulled out in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes) to tell them her flop flops don't fit.

10 comments:

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

Thank you for sharing your Gotcha Day story! I truly enjoyed it! Miss Lily is so beautiful! I recognized a little lady bug pillow in the background :::wink::

Anonymous said...

This is such an exciting time! I am so happy for you! We (Sarah likes to look at the blog too!) love the daily updates and pictures. Ty is so cute! Can't wait until he can play cars/trucks w/James! (it's his favorite too-he also likes to line them up!) Jeff-we will be thinking of you everyday and praying for a good trip home. Tiff-I know this is going to be a long 2weeks for you! Love-Cheryl

Megan said...

Wow - they are BOTH on the phone. You guys are going to have to get a lot of minutes on your family cell plan. :)

Football and Fried Rice said...

HOLY COW!!! I take a few days off from bloggin & I completely miss a flight to China and GOTCHA day! He looks so healthy & happy!!!!! I wonder if Ty-Baby ate those french fries! What babe doesn't love a good french fry! I loved reading this - I can't wait until a home reunion!!!! praying for safe Travels:)

Jessica said...

Tiffany,
Ty is sooooo cute! I just want to squeeze and tickle him. I can't stop looking at the pics of him....and I can't stop crying too! =) How exciting to have another little buddy in the house. We are praying for you...I know it's going to seem like a long two weeks. We are praying for Jeff, Ty and Uncle Ed too!
Lots of Love,
Jess

Lori said...

Ty is just hanging with the boys. :)
He's so sweet. I like how Jeff is writing all these 'facts'...things that are happening just as he sees it. I'm sure it will help as time goes on and with Ty's adjustment.
It sounds like Jeff & Grandpa are doing a great job. :)
Lily is just so funny~ bummer her flip flops don't fit, I hate when that happens! At least she is kind enough to call and let her friends know! LOL
And what big kissable lips she has! So precious. :)

Jake and Taryn said...

CONGRATULATIONS on Gotcha Day!! Ty looks so sweet and so healthy! It looks like and sounds like they are having a great time...I am so glad to hear that Ty doesn't want to let go of Jeff, how sweet!! It is amazing to see him with the guys already!! I can't wait to see him home!!

Lily looks so adorable...I love those hello kitty flip flops...to cute! Too bad she can't get matching ones! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tiffany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The view from England is clear -- There are 3 guys on-the-prowl in China looking for more business opportunities (It won't be long, Ty (the youngest) will be a vital part of the at-home operation)...

Please travel safely -- keep us all posted..

Uncle Mike