Saturday, March 22, 2008

Day 14 Update from Jeff.... They are STILL in China

From Tiffany~
Getting home with Lily in July 2006 was no picnic.... due to thunderstorms and other bad weather reasons our flight coming from Beijing to Newark couldn't land. So they took us to Baltimore to refuel and sit for 3 hours (on the plane). They couldn't let anyone off the plane because we were on an International flight and we could only get off in Newark. So after 3 hours of sitting on a HOT plane we finally made our way to Newark. Of course by that time we missed our connection to Ohio. Well, with the bad weather they canceled ALL flights.

All hotels and rental cars in the area were sold out ..... so we were stuck overnight in the Newark airport (out of baby food and just about out of diapers).

12 hours later we finally made it on a flight to Ohio.

By the time we made it home and finally saw a bed it was 52 hours awake for Jeff and I.


Then you all know how the departure for this trip took place (with this recent blizzard).


So when it came time for the guys to leave China yesterday I had an odd feeling (that I was hoping would pass) that they were going to be delayed in some form or another.

I spoke with Jeff when they were still in Guangzhou and knew they were having trouble with their tickets. But all was taken care of and they were getting on the next flight to Beijing.
I woke up this morning thinking that on this day or very early Easter Morning the guys would be coming home.

I wasn't going to set foot in my office but had a feeling I should check my email. I was surprised to get this update from Jeff.....


FROM JEFF....

We got off to a decent start this morning except I woke up with a full-fledged head cold. The worst one I've had all year - just in time to fly. When we got to the airport and tried to check in, Air China (Never, ever fly Air China) said there was a change in our tickets and we needed to produce paper tickets. Arguing here is a blast. Our guide was helping us check in and after and hour of standing there and arguing and cell phone calls zinging all over the world and Ty destroying his pull-up we missed our 9:25 flight to Beijing. They got us on the 11:55 flight but it didn't leave until 1:00.

We got to Beijing and had to get our bags in baggage claim, then race over to check in again. The sign said "check-in closes 25 min prior to flight take off". Well, we were 15 min early, not 25 and that wonderful customer service representative wouldn't budge. She offered us a flight to Chicago connecting in San Francisco tomorrow, for $200. We almost hit the roof - there were other people with us - but they backed down and we don't have to pay, but we are stuck in Beijing one more night.

We are trying to make the best of it - we got a nice room, but it was a business room with a king size bed. We had a good dinner that Ty didn't touch, then ate crackers before bed. I think the buffets have him spoiled - he thinks something better is always coming. I can't hear out of my right side because of this head cold and the pressure literally messing with my head. We are weary, and the longest day is not yet behind us.

Ty was good for a 2 year old today - it was long and tiring. He really likes the light switches in our new room - he can reach them and he turns them on and off.


Please keep the guys in your prayers! They still have a long flight ahead of them and then a long drive from Chicago.


8 comments:

Kim said...

I was wondering how things were going for them. I know we got quite a bit of snow here last night. I was thinking about how you had this when the guys left, and now their coming home in this.

I pray their now headed home and that your husband doesn't have to bad of a flight with his cold and all. Hopefully Ty will be able to sleep most of the way.

Hang in there, they'll be home soon!

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

Prayers are being said for Grandpa Ed, Jeff and Ty.

love from PEI, Canada

Maxine Ryal said...

It will be a tough trip for Jeff. Thank goodness Ty has his wonderful grandpa to take care of him while Jeff (hopefully) gets a little rest.

I am sending my best wishes through the miles for them to have a safe and undelayed trip, good weather, and minimal hassles. Love, Maxine

Football and Fried Rice said...

Oh, I was hoping to hear that they were already tucked in safe at home..PRAYING:)

day by day said...

Oh, no! So close to being home and now this. Jeff sounds like he is staying in good spirits! I feel so bad for him having to fly with such a bad head cold.

Praying for them!!!

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

I am so sorry this has happened to Jeff! Feeling sick on top of it is not a good thing. I can not imagine the frustration he must be feeling. I pray that Jeff wakes up feeling better and that he will have a smooth flight home. I will keep them in my prayers!

tjn said...

Oh BUMMER! And colds are the total pits. Sorry to hear of the delay, but it does sound like the guys are hanging in there. Hope you are too - that must be sooo disappointing to not have them home yet. We'll keep praying! Megan

Football and Fried Rice said...

can't wait to see a picture of a girl & her baby brother AND a Mama Bear & her boy! Happy Easter!!