Monday, May 3, 2010

Tiny vs. Petite

Well it has been brought to my attention that Lily doesn't like it when people call her tiny.....

It is no secret that she is small in stature.... but she is MIGHTY..... and for some reason people tell her daily that she is tiny.

I've noticed the last few times people have said... OH SHE IS SO TINY...It is usually followed by... OH SHE IS SO CUTE... Lily gets very quiet afterward. I kindly point out to them that she is just the size she is suppose to be.

After noticing that this bothered her I had a talk with her today...
Me~ Lily what do you think when people say you are tiny?
Lily~ I don't like it mom. It doesn't seem very nice.
Me~ I can understand that.
Lily ~ Is it nice when they say that?
Me~ When people comment that you are tiny they don't mean it in a hurtful way. They think you are so cute and they don't think about how the word tiny might make you feel. Perhaps they should use the word petite.
I told her that she could certainly let people know she prefers the word petite. If in fact she is ok with the word petite. (of course I told her the meaning of the word)
Lily~ I like that plan mom! Petite sounds fancy!

Then I gave her a big smooch and told her she is my beautiful BIG girl!





6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your conversations with Miss Lily...you are so insightful to her needs and you explain everything so well. She's definitely mighty and petite is such a special word to describe her. In my eyes she is sooo big because of her huge smile and even bigger heart. Lily is petite, beautiful and a princess. Love, Mom

momwithfaithandhope said...

Thinking back to my childhood, I would've taken tiny over short, but I'm with Lily. . .petite sounds fancy. And it certainly suits her. A petite princess with a BIG personality! Can't wait to read the post on the dialogue Lily exchanges with the next person who calls her the "t" word!

amanda77kr said...

And that's why you're an awesome Mom, you know just how to handle that!

Plus she'll always be the BIG sister.

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

Oh boy, can we relate to that. Kennedy, who is average height and weight got the "cute" thing for a long time. She told me at a very early age "I NOT cute", meaning she didn't want to be called cute all the time. Jaida who is VERY short in stature and only 23lbs @ 4 years old has now become sensitive to the word "tiny/small".

You and Lily have made a great plan. I think we'll try that too!

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

Ohh....bless her heart!

You seem to have handled the situation perfectly. Lily is blessed to have you as her mommy!

My son has struggled with his size all of his life. In kindergarten he was shortest on the growth chart...even compared to the girls. Who would think that something as innocent as a growth chart could play on a childs self esteem?

I love the way that you parent your beautiful children!

Happy Mother's Day to one amazing, beautiful mother!!!
Love you!

a Tonggu Momma said...

As the momma of another fancy, petite gal, this post caught my eye. I can tell your little gal may be petite, but she is MIGHTY. Kinda sounds like my Tongginator. (Plus, she hit a growth spurt this year and is now more middle of the pack in height, although the weight... the weight has yet to arrive.)