Friday, July 17, 2009

Flowers for Friday.... Four-leaf clover

Got this from Wikipedia........The four-leaf clover is an uncommon variation of the common, three-leaved clover. According to tradition, such leaves bring good luck to their finders, especially if found accidentally.[1] According to legend, each leaflet represents something: the first is for hope, the second is for faith, the third is for love, and the fourth is for luck. Another Irish legend tells that the three leaf clover, or "Shamrock", was what Saint Patrick used to represent the Holy Trinity.

Well.... Grandma Glenda has been finding 4 and 5 leaf clovers for as long as I can remember.
She has shared many with friends and family over the years. When she was here for the 4th of July she made the comment that she hasn't found any in quite some time.... what do you know.... she found 2 soon after.

Lily and I had a long talk about 4 leaf clovers the other day... since Grandma found them she had some ?'s.
Go back a month ago... the littles and I saw Horton Hears a Who. The Who's happen to be floating on a clover flower. (Since the movie the littles have been going on and on about clover flowers).
Nobody believes that the Who's are really there because they can't see them. Lily and I talked about the faith we have in God even though we can't see him.

I told her that finding a 4 leaf-clover is special because it doesn't happen every day.....That if we open our eyes to what is around us we can find special little things like that.
She looked at me very seriously and said, "Finding 4 leaf clovers is special". I agreed!

Whether 4 leaf-clovers actually bring luck or not I don't know. I've carried one in my wallet (that my mom gave to me when I was little) and what I think it brings is a reminder of the person that gave it to me.

At the request of the littles....We took a picture of a clover flower... since that is where the Who's live.......
When I loaded it on my computer I noticed that even a clover flower is beautiful (that doesn't mean I want them in my yard... hee hee). The littles call them pretty flowers and now I see why.

At the end of our chat Lily reminded me .........
Who's don't really live on the clover flowers because it is only a movie MOM.

At any rate......
It is cool to find a 4 leaf clover and clover flowers are actually really pretty.





6 comments:

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

What an interesting post! Thank you for reminding me of Ireland...we were there a year ago...sniffle sniffle! :)
My dad had a knack for finding 4 leaf clovers. How sweet that Lily will have memories of her Grandmother doing the same. I don't know if I've ever noticed a clover flower. Great photo!!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Love,
Robin

Leslie said...

This is such a cool post. I've never found a 4 leaf clover...ever...and I look too!!!

Hope your having a wonderful summer.

amanda77kr said...

Great post! Lily is so curious and precocious; hopefully Wikipedia will be there when the day comes and you don't have the answer. (!!) It's great that you share conversations like that with all of us.

We have clover flowers in our yard (ugh) but they bloom yellow...your weeds are prettier! I used to be able to find four leaf clovers, now I can't find an earring if it drops on the floor. Old eyes I guess. Heh.

Anonymous said...

Believe me it was a blessing to be lucky enough to spend a weekend with you all; but, finding it in your beautiful surroundings was the best! The clover is so pretty and so is the flower it comes from, but your photography makes it even more special. Miss Lily is wise beyond her years - because you teach her such neat things. Love you and thanks for the wonderful - thoughtful words. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Glenda must have some sort of special sense to be able to find four leaf clovers the way she does! I look and look - and never find one!

I love the picture of Miss Lily dancing in the water - and the smile on her face when you were on the ferry!

Love, Auntie M.

Anonymous said...

The picture of the clover flower just reminded me that I used to pick bunches of these as bouquets for my mom - the stems were usually too short to put in water!

Maxine